I am going… to an SMU Abroad Program for a full semester (for example, SMU in Spain, Fall 2015)
Students attending SMU Abroad programs for a fall/spring semester will receive the same financial aid and scholarships that they are eligible for during a fall/spring here at SMU. Additional loan monies may be available – please discuss eligibility and application process with your financial aid advisor.
I am going… to an SMU Abroad Program for a summer term (for example, SMU in London, Summer 2015)
Students attending SMU Abroad programs during the summer are eligible for a pro-rated amount of their merit scholarship and SMU Opportunity Grant. Federal loans if not utilized during the fall/spring of that academic year may also be used.
• Student must have been awarded financial aid for the academic year preceding the summer term
• Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 cumulative hours for the summer (if your summer abroad program is only 3 credit hours, you must take an additional 3 hours during the summer terms to be eligible for financial aid)
• Summer Financial Aid requires a separate application and will not be awarded automatically. SMU Summer Financial Aid Applications are available here.
• Students attending summer abroad programs may find their expenses exceed their pro-rated scholarships and financial aid. Additional loan monies may be available – please discuss eligibility and application process with your financial aid advisor.
Note: For all SMU Abroad Programs:
• All pre-departure expenses must be paid by the student. No financial aid should be expected for program deposits, early purchase of airline tickets, passport application fees, etc.
• Scholarship Opportunities are listed through the SMU Abroad Website under Funding
If you decide to go on a non-SMU Program Abroad for transfer credit: Federal financial aid may be transferred to the hosting University through a Consortium Agreement. SMU Scholarships and SMU need-based aid will not be applied to the cost of attending an abroad program through another institution. Please contact your financial aid advisor at least 30 days prior to the start of your program if you need to apply for a Consortium Agreement.